I remember when I was in primary school that I had a teacher who every day would check our finger nails to make sure they were clean. Since that time I’m used to check my nails every day and make sure that they are completely healthy and clean. My Muslim friend once told me that in her religion girls, women should have their nails short to avoid dirt under their nails. At some point it makes sense to want to keep a very clean image, but I think there are many other very easy ways to keep finger nails very clean even if they are very long, and I also think that even short nails can get dirt under.I think that the first and most important way of keeping finger nails from dirt, chemicals, oil, is to wear gloves when you are going to be cleaning your home, products or car, when you will be working on your garden or patio or just when you are going to wash the dishes. If you have been working on your car or a garden and want to quickly clean your nails from grease and dirt, you should soak your nails (not the whole hands but the nails) in a solution of dish washing liquid and warm water for a few minutes. After that you can properly wash your hands with soap and a soft toothbrush to gently clean your nails.In this post I’m going to show you a very easy every day technique that will help you have the perfect clean nails even if you haven’t been to the manicure in a long time and don’t have any nail polish.
- You should get any dirt from under your nails using a nail cleaner that usually comes with nail clippers or in manicure sets. You should concentrate, be very careful and pay attention when cleaning your nails, avoid using sharp objects like pencils or needles because they can hurt your skin under your nails and get an infection form germs and bacterias that are on your nail dirt.
- When you are done cleaning the under side of your finger nails then you should proceed to clean the other parts of the nails. Use a clean, new, soft toothbrush, soap (or any kind of hand gel/soap) and water to clean your finger nails. Scrub gently your nails, paying special attention to the borders and cuticles and avoid scrubbing too hard that you hurt your skin around the nails. At this time you should only try to get dirt out of your nails, not the nail polish.
- Once you have finished cleaning properly your finger nails, wash your hands just with clean warm water to rinse all the soap and dirt. Dry your hands patting on a soft clean hands towel.
- If you have any nail polish from previous manicure, now is the time to remove it. Use a nail polish remover and cotton buds. Scrub gently your nails to avoid damaging your nails. If the polish remover is good then you won’t need to much pressing to get the nail polish out. Remember to check first what kind of nail polish remover is good for your nails and skin.When removing your nail polish you should start from the base of the nail and work up, remember to clean properly your nail sides.
- After you finish removing all nail polish, you should soak your nails in a bowl of warm soapy water for around 3 minutes. You don’t need to soak your hands, just your finger nails. Make sure the water is warm, neither too cold nor too hot.
- After those 3 to 5 minutes, you can wash again your hands with clean warm water and soap. Pat them dry. Use some moisturizing hand cream on your hands and nails; or you can cut your nails with clean nail scissors if you like them short, you can file them if you don’t like cutting them. Make sure they are even.
- You can apply also some clear nail polish now if you want. In another post I can explain how to properly apply nail polish at home.
As you can see, keeping your finger nails clean wont take you more than 15 minutes a day. Is very important to always watch your finger nails hygiene, not only for aesthetics reasons but for medical reasons too, because many infections can be caused by touching an open wound with dirty nails or by eating your nails dirt while biting your finger nails.I personally think that biting your nails is a sign of insecurity or stress, so if you are single looking for a partner or if you are already in a relationship, you should remember that men don’t like insecure women. And there is a big majority of men who like women with long nails. They find it very sexy when a woman gets a new manicure.I’ve heard of a good technique to stop biting your nails, you should polish them with bitter nail polish so you won’t want to bit them again and another good way to avoid biting nails is to identify your stress or insecurity reason and go to a psychologist or some kind of specialist that can help you.