Who would have ever thought that those scaly creatures from the deep blue would be a key to stop or help the aging process. Fish oil contains a variety of health benefits, mainly the nutrient Omega 3.
What exactly is Omega 3?
Omega 3 are fatty acids and considered essential to human health and cannot be manufactured by the body. For this reason, omega 3 fatty acids must be obtained from food. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut, other marine life such as algae and krill, certain plants, and nut oils. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids, omega 3 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function as well as normal growth and development. Omega 3 also is a huge contributor to the anti-aging process. It has been shown that Omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial in healing the skin. There are 8 primary benefits of taking Omega 3:
1. Decreases inflammation and pain that is often associated with arthritis and joints in general.
2. Lowers cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Improves cardiovascular health by decreasing your chance of a heart attack or stroke and breaks down plaque on the arteries and breaks down any clots forming.
4. Improves skin and helps with the anti-aging process of skin cells. Omega 3 helps support healthy younger skin by ridding the skin of free radical damage, damage done to the skin through the environment. Omega 3 helps promote elasticity and hydration for smoother looking skin.
5. Improves brain function by helping your memory, recall, reasoning and focus. Pregnant women tend to take Omega 3 during their pregnancies to help in the development of their babies.
6. Helps with depression and other psychological disorders. It helps to “alleviate” the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
7. Lowers Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
8. Reduces Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer – breast, colon and prostate. It does this by killing off the cancerous cells.
Why do I take my fish oil every day, not only for all the reasons mentioned above, but also because if I do not I can totally notice a difference during the day. I take it in a combination pill that not only gives me my essential fatty acids but also Vitamin A, C and E along with Alpha Lipoic Acid and CoQ10 enzyme. The pill is called the NutriminC RE9 Resist Essential Fatty Acid Dietary Supplement, and I swear by this pill. It really does work.