Weddings can get to be pretty expensive, depending on how lavish they are. I’ve heard horror stories of how the wedding cost more than the first house. How ridiculous is that? If you are willing to do some negotiating and are flexible with your wedding dates, you may be able to pull off a low cost, if not free, wedding.
The key word to remember is ADVERTISING. Many small companies could use the advertising that a wedding would bring them. Advertising can be expensive so use this to your advantage when asking vendors about their services. Be willing to put up banners, ads, maybe even a table with their business cards on it. It is a small price to pay to get the free services. Here is a good guide to follow when arranging that “free” wedding”:
- Be flexible with your wedding dates. This way you can see who is available when, and they may be able to fit in some free services in exchange for advertising.
- Make your own invitations. There are a number of invitations you can print yourself or buy a wedding invitation kit at a store.
- Have the wedding outside, say in a big beautiful backyard with a garden reception. Or try your church or country clubs someone may be members at, usually these are free for members (the church and the club). A beach wedding would be great!
- For the cake, find a local bakery and ask them about exchanging the cake for advertising at the wedding. Same thing goes for the florist.
- For the tuxedo, your dress and salon services; see if they would be willing to swap advertising for the items and services. You may be able to rent a spectacular wedding dress.
- Photography, this is an easy one. Usually photographers are self employed, so they would love the free advertising for doing a wedding, ask them for a trade. Or you could get disposable cameras and place them on everyone’s table, then let everyone snap away. You can get them developed and put together your own wedding album. (you can ask everyone to bring a disposable camera in the invites)
- Do an afternoon wedding. You will only need your cake and some hor’dourves, which can be made by family or friends.
- Incorporate your Honeymoon and wedding together. You can have a Cruise or special destination wedding. Usually cruise weddings are free with the cruise and some destinations offer free weddings with your reservations.
Many small local businesses would love to get the free advertising, try for the services as free first, if they don’t want to go free maybe discounted. Start looking around and asking for sponsors for your wedding. Start well in advance and make sure to be flexible. You may just end up with a free wedding!
Any more tips for a free wedding????