One of the simple, accessible, and healthy snacks I like to eat is yogurt. I love how I can indulge in something fruity and semi-sweet without being too scared of the calories. Of course, it also depends a lot on the brand and flavor of the yogurt. For me, I like strawberry and chocolate flavors in general. How about you? 🙂 Well, regardless of what type of yogurt we like, here’s a list of just a few of the benefits we can get from it.
1. Yogurt is a wonderful source of calcium because it can provide up to 40% of the daily calcium value we need. And we all know how good calcium is to our body. It not only keeps our bones and teeth strong, it also promotes overall strength and wellness for more years to come.
2. Yogurt helps boost our immune systems because of its friendly bacteria composition. Yogurt fights against bacterial infections and diseases like food poisoning. A healthy level of good bacteria is also great for digestive health.
3. Yogurt is a great alternative food to the lactose intolerant or simply to the non-milk drinkers, like me. I was born with a natural aversion to milk but I’ve always loved all the other dairy products like cheese and of course, yogurt.
4. Yogurt can be served in a lot of ways, so if you or your kid don’t really like yogurt in its solo state, you can incorporate it into other stuff so you can still avail of all the health benefits it can give. For instance, you can serve it with nuts or your favorite fruits like bananas, strawberries, raspberries, or peaches. You can also add a different flavor, like chocolate or mocha. You can also substitute it for high fat ingredients like heavy creams. You can even make it into delicious ice cream. There are a lot of easy to follow yogurt recipes on the net.
5. Yogurt doesn’t make you fat. Of course, there are sugarless and with-sugar versions of yogurt, so it’ll be good to check on the labels first or do your research before buying a particular brand. Nevertheless, yogurt in general contains much less sugar, calories and fats than the usual sweet snacks like ice cream or pastries. If you want to be absolutely strict about it, choose the sugarless and zero-fat versions.
Image from this site.