Women get the short end of this stick in many things, already. Adding fire to the flame is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Some believe it doesn’t really exist but those you suffer from it, KNOW it is a real condition. CFS is a feeling of exhaustion or weakness that is not relieved by stress.
It is most often seen in women. CFS can often start after any cold or viral infections. Fatigue is a part of many illnesses, but with CFS there will be a mental and physical fatigue which is never relieved. The symptoms are debilitating enough to change your entire lifestyle and destroy good health. A person suffering from this will find it increasing difficult to maintain a normal healthy functional life. Doctors use a few ways to diagnose if you may have CFS (this is taken from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases):
- Unexplained or relapsing fatigue of new or definite onset that is not due to ongoing exertion. This can not be relieved by rest, and causes a substantial reduction in previous levels of activity
- Four or more of the following are concurrently present for six months or more:
- Loss of memory and concentration that disrupts your life
- Sore throat
- Tender lymph nodes.
- Muscle pain.
- Multi joint pain without swelling or redness.
- New headaches.
- Unrefreshing sleep.
- Post exertion malaise lasting more than 24 hours.
A complete cure is not available although over time with treatment, can offer a 5-10% degree of improvement. Some self care things to try to combat it is doing regular body workouts, get your 8 hours of sleep a night, and try to remain stress free. If you think you may be suffering from this, see your doctor and give the self-care measures to help with your improvement.