One of the body parts that are least taken cared of are the toenails. After all, it’s easy to disregard toenails as they are often covered in shoes anyway and therefore just need the occasional clipping when they become too long for comfort. Needless to say, a lot of people do not know how to take proper care of their toenails. If you’re one of them, read on to know some expert-given, tried and tested tips on how to best take care of your toenails.
1. Don’t wear too small shoes. Putting your feet constantly in very small shoes and walking in such can cause your toenails to dig in the flesh of your toes and cause infection. In addition, wearing too tight shoes can scratch your toenails and leave them battered and brittle. Thus, only wear shoes that comfortably fit your feet. That stiletto may look hot but it sure ain’t hot once you take them off and reveal ugly toenails.
2. Apply lemon or orange extract for shinier nails. Problem with yellowing or lifeless nails? Rub some lemon or lime wedge into your nails regularly for natural polishing, strengthening, and shine. You can also apply fresh lemon or orange juice on a cotton swab and rub it on each of your toenails.
3. Massage nails with olive oil. Another way to cure brittle nails is to regularly apply olive, almond or castor oil on them. Oil helps in making your nails look a lot clearer and naturally beautiful.
4. Go easy on the nail polish. Sure, they can make your toenails look a lot more glam or funky, but we all know nail polishes are still chemical substances and too much of them can strip away the natural essences of your toenails and leave them dry, brittle, and old-looking. If you don’t plan to wear sandals or open-toed footwear at work or at any event for a week or so, skip the nail polish and let your nails rejuvenate.
5. Drink a lot of water. Hydration not only works great for your skin – it also reflects on your nails. So drink as much water as you can each day. We all know that the benefits of doing so are endless.
6. Cut your toenails properly and evenly. Cutting straight across helps prevents ingrown nails. But you can also file it in a squared off oval.
Know more toenail tips?
Image from this site.