Studies have shown that taking fish oil everyday can help prevent heart disease and cancer in both men and women. Some of the additional benefits of fish oil have are:
- Fighting Depression
- Improving Autoimmune response
- Protecting against Type 2 diabetes
- Preventing heart attack and stroke
- Improving memory
- Improving eye sight (primarily macula degeneration)
- Decrease blood clotting
- Lower triglycerides
There are a ton of products on the market that tout on their label that they contain fish oil, but buyer beware. Some fish oil capsules do not hold enough fish oil in them to benefit your health and they cost more then they are worth.
You can find a quality fish oil capsule by following this guideline.
- Most fish oil is only 30% EPA and DHA. be sure to read the fine print. It may say 1000mg on the front, but when reading the back label it may say 300mg of EPA and DHA. Be sure to check that the fish oil has between 700 to 1,000 IU a day.
- Double strength may just mean you take two pills instead of one. Some brands are more concentrated then others. Check the supplement facts to find out how many pills you’ll have to take to get the EPA and DHA you want.
- Ignore other omegas. You don’t need other Omega-3s like ALA or Omega-6 fats.
- Major brands are all mercury-free. Consumer Reports and ConsumerLab.com have found no mercury in any big brand names, whether or not the label says they’re mercury-free.
- You can buy DHA made from algae. but so far, there is no vegetarian source of EPA.