Much has been said about the purported healthy components of vinegar, but did you know that for many years now many claim vinegar to have beautifying powers as well? Apple cider vinegar in particular is said to be great for both the skin and the hair because of the following:
1. It is rich in alpha-hydroxy acids that help dissolve scaly and fatty substances in the skin, making it smoother and softer.
2. It can reduce the swelling of varicose veins as it promotes blood circulation. If you want to reduce unsightly varicose veins with apple cider vinegar, there are a variety of treatments to choose from. You can put vinegar in a cotton ball and then gently apply it on the skin. You can also apply the vinegar directly with your hands, in manner of gentle massaging. At the same time you can drink a couple of tablespoons of the vinegar daily.
3. Vinegar can be used as a toner, facial, and age spot lightener. Just remember that if you plan to use it on your face, you have to dilute it in water because vinegar is still acid and can burn if applied pure. Raw, organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is said to work best. What it does is it clarifies the skin by being an effective cleanser and remover of excess oil and dirt buildup. It also helps your skin maintain an optimal pH balance. If you just want to use it to lighten age spots or darker spots, you can opt to dab the vinegar straight to these areas and leave them on overnight.
4. Vinegar as a toner can help strengthen the skin and enable it to combat bacteria and other infectious properties because of its antiseptic components combined with enzymes, minerals and amino acids.
5. Vinegar can make for a good hair rinse because the acid in it can wash away residue that may have clung to your hair. These residues often make your hair heavier and brittle. Washing with apple cider vinegar can help remove the buildup and make your hair naturally softer and shinier. Just remember to dilute it in water to make it gentler on your scalp.
6. It can also fight dandruff. If you’ve used all kinds of commercial shampoos without any results, then using vinegar to treat your dandruff problem might just be the solution you’re looking for.
7. If you’re balding or your hair is thinning, massaging your scalp with apple cider vinegar can stimulate hair growth and thicken your thinning hair.
Of all these purported benefits, so far I’ve tried using vinegar as a toner which worked really great because my face felt tight and smooth after. Care to share your own experiences with vinegar?
Image from this site.